Gastroscopy and Colonoscopy
Advice following the procedure:
- You may experience some abdominal discomfort from the residual air in your bowel - this should settle within 24 hours,
- You may experience some pain and/or bruising at the injection site - this should settle without treatment.
- The preparation you have taken can result in you being left dehydrated - please drink some extra fluid over the next 24 hours to improve your recovery - approx. 2L of water would be ideal.
- It may take up to 2 - 3 days to re-establish your usual bowel elimination pattern after undergoing colonoscopy preparation.
- Mild discomfort and irritation may occur in the throat as a result of the gastroscopy. This should subside within 24 - 48 hours.
You have had sedation for this procedure:
The drugs used may still be in your system.
You must make sure you have a responsible adult to care for you at home after the procedure.
Until the following morning you should not:
- Drive a vehicle, ride a bicycle or operate machinery
- Make any important decisions
- Sign legal documents
- Drink alcohol